Family Homes in Forfar
The following were among the many houses in Forfar that were home to the Whyte family
– the dates are mostly from the Census records. Many of these properties are still standing.
Address Dates Family
1. High Street (Centre) 1841 Patrick & Margaret Whyte
2. 75 Castle Street 1841/61 (William) & Margaret Whyte & family
3. 3 Littlecausway 1861 John & Catherine Whyte & family
4. Brier's Cottage, Glamis Road 1871/81 John & Catherine Whyte & family
5. Manor House, Manor Street c1870/93 Robert Whyte, Margaret Adam Whyte & family
1893/1924 Anne Ure Whyte, Margaret Roberts Whyte/Shaw & Elizabeth Whyte.
1930/77 Will Whyte (1880-1977).
6. St Annes, 28 St James Road 1901 John & Catherine Whyte
7. Yew Tree Cottage, New Road 1901 Robert T & Isabella Whyte & family
8. Blytheswood Cottage 1911 Robert T & Isabella Whyte & family
9. Broombank, 12 Rosebank Lane to 1948 Robert T Whyte
& garden on Lour Road
10. Lillybank, 25 Arbroath Road to 1950 John (Jack) & Agnes Whyte
11. Kilmun, Hillside Road 1969/85 John S & Agnes Whyte
The Manor House...
was based on an older house. William Whyte (1793-1849) added important extensions. It had a beautiful garden and the property originally went down to the edge of the Forfar Loch.